Prague is a romantic, eccentric, and last but not least marvellous city which lies in the centre of Europe. There is no wonder that such an interesting place drag in a lot of film-makers not only from the Czech Republic but also foreign ones. We have list of movies filmed in Prague.
Movies filmed in Prague
Prague offers film-makers haunting, mysterious exteriors and interiors and also servicers of experienced and trained professionals. Even before the Velvet revolution in 1989, foreign film-makers shot in this stunning place. For example a director Miloš Forman (who came from Czechoslovakia) was able to get through the Iron Curtain with his spectacular film Amadeus that won Oscar.
Foreign movies filmed in Prague
When the communism fell down, Hollywood studios rushed into our country as there were low production costs and very high level of talent available in the local industry. Even though the cost is higher in these days there were shot a lot of world-famous films. However, when prices began to increase, studios went to the east (to Romania for example). A lot of Hollywood productions came to the city to save money which led to less-artistically-minded films which were shot in here (Doom, Alien vs. Predator, Van Helsing, and The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen). But there are other movies filmed in Prague that are extraordinary.
Movies filmed in Prague or around Prague- List
All movies have direct link to IMDB.com (open in new window)
- Amadeus (1984)
- The Trial (1993) – This is an adaptation of Franz Kafka’s most famous book which bears the same name. The film can be comparable with Orson Welles’ version. The location is stunning and haunting at the same time and together with Amadeus has the most fascinating location.
- Les Miserables (1998) – This film belongs to one of the best movie versions of this work and has a dynamite cast with Liam Neeson, Uma Thurman, or Geoffrey Rush in the central roles. Film was made at Barrandov Studios and in Prague in 1998. Is in category movies filmed in Prague in communism.
- Mission Impossible (1996)
- Blade (1998)
- From Hell (2001)
- Spy Game (2001)
- XXX (2002)
- The Bourne Identity (2002)
- Blade 2 (2002)
- Bad Company (2002)
- Hart´s War (2002)
- The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (2003)
- Van Helsing (2004)
- Hell Boy (2004)
- EuroTrip (2004)
- The Prince & Me (2004) – tricks made in Movie factory Barrandov
- AVP: Alien vs. Predator (2004)
- The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (2005)
- The Brothers Grimm (2005)
- Hostel (2005)
- Running Scared (2006) – Another rom interesting movies filmed in Prague, which was shot in the Czech Republic is Running Scared. This film stands for a violent thriller about an undercover police who attemps to retrieve a stolen gun. The director was Wayne Kramer and Prague filled in for New Jersey to save money. A key role starred a popular Czech actor Karel Roden.
- Casino Royale (2006)
- Hannibal Rising (2007)
- Wanted (2008)
- G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra (2009)
- Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol (2011)
- A Royal Affair (2012)